Information for Class of 2024
UT Health San Antonio Long School of Medicine offers elective courses that have been designed to accommodate the diverse educational needs of our students and visiting students. Electives provide students an opportunity to further develop their medical knowledge, clinical skills and professional identity. The elective catalog is designed to enhance a student’s ability to effectively plan their elective experiences. Visiting students should first review the visiting student information for specific guidance.
Access elective catalog. 4th year elective registration begins Wednesday, April 5th at 12:00 pm.
To successfully complete the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree program, Long SOM students must complete:
- 20 weeks of Electives
- 8 weeks of Selectives ( 4 weeks inpatient / 4 weeks ambulatory)
- 4 weeks of Didactics (3 required courses and 4 elective courses) completed during Block 9
- Pass USMLE Exams (Step 1 and Step 2 CK)
Elective planning tips
- Review Specialty Fact Sheets and Elective Planning by Specialty guides for your chosen specialty
- Revisit the November Class Meeting-4th year expectation slides on the Class of 2024 Canvas page > Student Affairs
- Print or open a copy of the MS4 Schedule Planner to make notes
- Read Elective Catalog Quick Start Guide prior to using the tool the first time.
Some departments have specific instructions about elective registration. These will be added as they become available.
- Family Medicine Elective Registration Instructions
- Internal Medicine Elective Registration Instructions
- Neurology Elective Registration Instructions
- Pediatrics Elective Registration Instructions
- Psychiatry Elective Registration Instructions
- Surgery Elective Registration Instructions
Planning for an off-campus ("away") rotation
- Review Away Rotations 101
- Review VSLO "Find Electives" site to search for available rotations. The site has the capability to filter based on a variety of options
- Review VSLO "Institution List" to learn about specific institutional requirements, such as eligibility requirements, fees & expense and important dates
- Complete a Course Approval Form PRIOR to leaving for an away rotation. Retroactive credit will not be granted.