October 5-6, 2023 in Seattle, Washington
"I think the conference was amazing, very well organized, great lectures, ample hands on experience, extremely helpful teachers, all in all a wonderful experience! Kudos to Dr. Soni and his team! Thank you so much!" - 2022 Course Attendee
"The 2019 Point-of-care Ultrasound Workshop was the most effective post-graduate clinical course I have taken. The speakers were terrific, experts in their fields, and engaging. The hands-on ultrasound experience while being mentored by outstanding faculty in real-time was very effective. The practical lessons learned both in didactic and actual ultrasound imaging will change my daily practice and make me a better clinician and transplant surgeon. A game-changer." - Francisco G. Cigarroa, MD 2019 Course Participant & Former Chancellor of the University of Texas System
Point-of-Care Ultrasound Workshop is a unique hands-on experience to teach clinicians fundamental of bedside applications of portable ultrasound. This workshop was offered as a virtual, tele-ultrasound course during the pandemic but has now returned to the traditional, in-person course format.
Traditional, In-person Course
Our traditional, in-person course combines focused didactics and hands-on scanning sessions led by expert faculty from around the country. During the hands-on scanning sessions, course participants practice capturing specific ultrasound views of the heart, lungs, abdomen, and legs on live models. The hands-on sessions are complemented by lectures to improve the participants' knowledge of the indications, technical skills, and clinical integration of bedside ultrasound. The curriculum has been fine-tuned over years to maximize learning.
This workshop is designed for clinicians seeking training in portable ultrasound.
- Internal Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
Why is this workshop unique?
- Nationally recognized expert faculty from leading academic institutions
- Low course participant to faculty ratio (2:1 or 3:1 for in-person course)
- Curriculum designed to teach the highest-yield point-of-care ultrasound applications for clinicians
- Maximum hands-on practice scanning with live models
What can you expect to learn?
- Fundamental principles of ultrasound technology and basic operation of a portable ultrasound machine
- Techniques to perform focused diagnostic ultrasound examinations at the bedside, including imaging of the heart, lungs, abdomen, and lower extremity veins
- Techniques to use ultrasound to guide performance of bedside procedures
- Indications, basic protocols, and limitations of bedside ultrasound imaging
- Practice interpretation of normal and abnormal ultrasound images
- Mentored scanning with experienced faculty to learn hands-on imaging techniques
This course satisfies one of the program requirements for the SHM Point-of-care Ultrasound Certificate of Completion.
If you are interested in Registering for the upcoming workshop, please click on the Registration tab. If you are unable to attend but would like to be added to our waiting list and contacted about future courses, please complete this Course Participant Interest Form.