School of Health Professions

Coursework and Accreditation Information

Bachelor of Science in Emergency Health Sciences

Paramedics who have earned a paramedic certificate may choose to continue their education to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Emergency Health Sciences (EHS) offered by the Department of Emergency Health Sciences. This degree is only offered as an online program.  The baccalaureate degree offers additional opportunities in the field of out-of-hospital emergency health care in administration, teaching, or advanced-level practice.

Our program's second portion of the degree is from the core curriculum and is made up of 42 semester-hour credits. These general education courses are not offered at the UT Health San Antonio and must be transferred from a college or university.

The final 52 semester hour credits are offered through our online bachelor of science program. Our program is designed to meet a student's educational and career goals. Therefore, in consultation with the program director, the student may create an individualized curriculum of at least 52 semester credit hours from the bachelor of science courses.

Institutional accreditation

The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, to award certificates and baccalaureate, master's, doctoral and professional degrees. The institution was last reviewed and reaffirmed in 2018. The institution's accreditation extends through 2028 and includes all programs offered on the institution's main campus as well as those offered at all extended program sites.

Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur,  GA 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500for questions about the accreditation of the Health Science Center. Note: The Commission should only be contacted 1) to learn about the institution's accreditation status, 2) to file a third-party comment at the time of the institution's accreditation review, or 3) to file a complaint against the institution for alleged non-compliance with a standard or requirement. All normal inquiries about admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc. should be addressed directly to the Health Science Center and not the Commission's office.