Summer Undergraduate Nursing Research ImmerSion Experience (SUNRISE)
UT Health San Antonio School of Nursing offers a variety of ways to engage undergraduates seeking research experiences in basic science to applied delivery systems research. Summer Undergraduate Nursing Research ImmerSion Experience (SUNRISE) is an undergraduate research program. SUNRISE provides opportunities for eligible TBSN 5th and TBSN 6th undergraduate nursing students to participate in a paid 8-week summer research program mentored by faculty members from UT Health San Antonio. Enrollment into the SUNRISE program will be done through a competitive application of undergraduate nursing students enrolled full-time in the traditional track of the UT Health San Antonio BSN Program.
Trainees will be paired one on one with a mentor with an established line of research. Students are encouraged to look into investigators they would be interested in working with and read over their recent publications and current research. Investigator profiles can be found by searching the faculty directory.
Applications for SUNRISE will be due by March 17, 2023 11:59PM.
- Competitive application process
- Likelihood for success
- Status representative of nursing school population
- 15 slots available
- Apprenticeship model
- Observe mentor's research program, learn data collection, lab techniques, attend PI's lab meetings
- Journal Club/Journaling Experiences
- Poster presentation at national conference
- Principal investigator, graduate students, peers
- Guidance from the Director of SUNRISE, Office of Admissions and Student Success, Student Success Center
- Exit interview to improve the SUNRISE program
- March 17th: Application deadline
- March 31st: Notice of acceptance
- May 30th – June 2nd: Orientation
- June 5th – July 26th: Research Experience
Aside from conducting cutting edge research, students engaged in the SUNRISE program will be given the opportunity to represent the School of Nursing at UT Health San Antonio through various venues, including, campus visits, advocacy programs, and at conference presentations.
SUNRISE Scholars Visit | UCSF School of Nursing
Patel, D. I., Meling, V., Somani, A., Larrotta, D., & Byrd, D. A. (2017). Summer undergraduate nursing research experience: Implementing a mentor-based research program for minority nursing undergraduates. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 7(7), 37. DOI: Journal of Nursing Education and Practice