About our department
The Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio is a dynamic and growing academic department. We provide clinical expertise in all sub-specialty areas of Otolaryngology-HNS including head and neck oncology/surgery, laryngology/voice disorders, otology, pediatric otolaryngology, rhinology, and facial plastic surgery. Our faculty are dedicated to providing superb patient care, excellence in residency education, and core training to our medical students. After 15 years of serving as our chairman, Dr. Randal A. Otto has been tasked by Dr. Francisco Gonzalez (Dean of the School of Medicine) to serve as the Interim Dean of Medical School Admissions. Dr. Otto will maintain his appointment and practice commitments in the Department of Otolaryngology during his service in the Dean’s office, but will give up his administrative work. Dr. Frank. R. Miller will serve as the acting chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Miller is a tenured professor in OHNS and Director of Head and Neck Surgery who has served as the deputy chair for the department since 2007:
Our mission to provide excellence in clinical care and train the next generation of Otolaryngologists remains unchanged. This is accomplished by our commitment to:
- Providing high quality medical education and training to medical students and physicians at all career levels with special emphasis on
- Training Otolaryngology-HNS residents to be competent, compassionate, responsible, and ethical leaders in our profession, and
- Preparing medical students and physicians for managing otolaryngology problems in the primary care setting.
- Conducting biomedical and other health related research in the areas of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery and communication disorders.
- Delivering exemplary quality Otolaryngology services across our health care system
- Providing a responsive resource in health related affairs for the nation and the state, with particular emphasis on South Texa
Frank R. Miller, MD, FACS, Professor and Acting Chairman
Director Head and Neck Surgery