Service and Outreach
At The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, physicians, nurses, dentists, scientists and other health professionals, as well as staff and students spend countless hours as volunteers throughout San Antonio, South Texas, nationally and abroad each year.
A few examples:
- Through the Center for Medical Humanities & Ethics outreach and service-based learning programs, Health Science Center students travel throughout Texas and the world to help people in need of vital health care. Students participate in medical rotations, mobile health clinics and educational programs to provide compassionate care and to help communities organize their health care resources.
- The Office of Recruitment and Service Outreach and the Med Ed Program help prepare more than 17,000 students each year to enter health professional careers.
- Outstanding faculty and staff members serve in leadership positions on the boards of numerous prestigious national and international organizations.
- Faculty, residents and students contribute more than $26.3 million in uncompensated care to the uninsured and underinsured annually.
- To date, nearly 200,000 health care professionals have benefited from medical, dental and nursing continuing education programs offered by the Health Science Center.