We are the magazine of The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Address correspondence to the editor, Natalie Gutierrez, at:
to The Mission
Acacia's big adventure
- A 2-year-old girl is responding to experimental therapy designed
to prevent mental retardation.
Will they live to be 18?
- Gerontologists are helping teen-agers see beyond day-to-day urban
violence and envision their own futures.
A bitter lesson for youngsters
- Citrus snacking, a habit engrained in Texas folkways, harms
hundreds of youngsters, but a dentist is working to change that.
A network blooms in South Texas
- The Health Science Center is tapping modern technology to expand
the education and health care it provides.
What to do in a poison emergency
- The new South Texas Poison Center begins answering poisoning
emergency calls from a 47-county region.
- A scientist who sculpts eyes, a way to avoid shots, and an 800 telephone number to help with science and math homework are in store here.
News on campus
- Health Science Center's regional role in South Texas expands
- McAllen physician leads South Texas Initiative
- Cellular biology funding near the top in the nation
- Medical School receives high primary-care rating
- Center for organ transplant patients opens
- Surgeons transplant kidney and pancreas
- Heart association funding helps accelerate research
- Project with VA seeks biological causes of aging
- President's Council fund campaign sets a record
- Development board creates dental professorship
- Organization honors Health Science Center's donors
- A few snapshots from this issue of The Mission: The first lady of Texas tours the campus, and the Dental School pitches in at the Special Olympics.
The Mission, Department of Communications, The University
of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio,
7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78284-7768
Telephone: (210) 567-2570