Microbiology & Immunology Faculty
T. R. Kannan, Ph.D.
Our research group studies how human pathogenic bacteria like Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Mycoplasma genitalium cause disease. In particular we study the virulent determinants used by these pathogens that facilitate them to subvert the host defenses. This research may lead to new strategies to prevent or treat infections.
Using lung surfactant protein-A as bait we identified an ADP ribosylating and vacuolating cytotoxin of M. pneumoniae and designated community acquired respiratory distress syndrome (CARDS) toxin. Specific projects include the molecular characterization of CARDS toxin of M. pneumoniae and similar toxins of other mycoplasma. In addition, we study virulence genes expression, nuclear tropism/modulation and persistence of M. pneumoniae and M. genitalium.
- Kannan, T.R., D. Provenzano, J.R. Wright and J.B. Baseman. 2005 Identification and characterization of human surfactant protein-A binding protein of Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Infect. Immun. 73:2828-2834.
- Kannan, T.R. and J.B. Baseman. 2006. ADP-ribosylating and vacuolating cytotoxin of Mycoplasma pneumoniae represents unique virulence determinant among bacterial pathogens. PNAS 103(17) 6724-6729.
- Hardy, R.D., J.J. Coalson, J. Peters, A. Chaparro, C. Techasaensiri, A.M. Cantwell, T.R. Kannan, J.B. Baseman and P.H. Dube. 2009. Analysis of pulmonary inflammation and function in the mouse and baboon after exposure to Mycoplasma pneumoniae CARDS toxin. PloSOne Oct 27;4(10):e7562.
- Kannan, T.R., O. Musatovova, S. Balasubramanian, M. Cagle, J.L. Jordan, T.M. Krunkosky, A. Davis, R.D. Hardy and J.B. Baseman. 2010. Mycoplasma pneumoniae CARDS toxin expression reveals growth phase and infection-dependent regulation. Molec. Micro. 76(5):1127-1141.
- Techasaensiri, C., C. Tagliabue, M. Cagle, P. Iranpour, K. Katz, T.R. Kannan, J.J. Coalson, J.B. Baseman and R.D. Hardy. 2010. Variation in colonization, ADP-ribosylating cytotoxin,and pulmonary disease severity among Mycoplasma pneumoniae strains. Am. J. Res. Crit. Care Med. 182:797-804.
- Li, L., M. Krishnan, J.B. Baseman, and T.R. Kannan. Molecular cloning, expression, and characterization of a Ca2+-dependent, membrane-associated nuclease of Mycoplasma genitalium. J Bacteriol. 2010 Oct;192(19):4876-84.
- Somarajan, S.R., T.R. Kannan and J.B. Baseman. 2010. Mycoplasma pneumoniae Mpn133 is a cytotoxic nuclease with a glutamic acid, lysine and serine rich region essential for binding and internalization but not enzymatic activity. Cell Microbiol. 12(12):1821-1831
- Muir, M.T., S.M. Cohn, C. Louden, T.R. Kannan and J.B. Baseman. 2011. Novel toxin assays implicate Mycoplasma pneumoniae in prolonged ventilator course and hypoxemia. Chest 139(2):305-310.
- Johnson , C., Kannan T.R. and J.B. Baseman. 2011. Cellular vacuoles Induced by Mycoplasma pneumoniae CARDS Toxin originate from Rab9-associated compartments. PLoS One. 6(7):e22877.
- Peters, J., H. Singh, E. Brooks, J. Diaz, T.R. Kannan, J.J. Coalson, M. Cagle and J.B. Baseman. 2011 Persistence of CARDS Toxin-producing Mycoplasma pneumoniae in refractory asthma. Chest 140(2):401-407.
- Kannan, T.R., J.J. Coalson, M. Cagle, O. Musatovova, R.D. Hardy and J.B. Baseman. 2011. Synthesis and distribution of CARDS toxin during Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in a murine model. J. Infect. Dis. J. Infect. Dis. 204(10):1596-604.
- Kannan, T.R., R.D. Hardy, J.J. Coalson, D.C. Cavuoti, J.D. Siegel, M. Cagle, O. Musatovova, C. Herrera and J.B. Baseman. 2011. Fatal outcomes in family transmission of Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Clin. Infect. Dis. 54(2):225-231.
- Medina, J.L., J.J. Coalson, E.G. Brooks, V.T. Winter, A. Chaparro, M.F. Principe, T.R. Kannan, J.B. Baseman, P.H. Dube. 2012. Mycoplasma pneumoniae CARDS Toxin Induces Pulmonary Eosinophilic and Lymphocytic Inflammation. Am. J. Respir. Cell. Mol. Biol. 2012 46(6):815-22.
- Krishnan M., T.R. Kannan and J.B. Baseman. 2013. Mycoplasma pneumoniae CARDS toxin is internalized via clathrin-mediated endocytosis. PLoS One. 8(5): e62706.