News Release Archive
Office of External Affairs
San Antonio Area Foundation awards $332,160 to HSC
The San Antonio Area Foundation (SAAF) granted nearly a third of a
million dollars Thursday night (May 27) to researchers at The
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
The SAAF held its Grant Award Ceremony Thursday at the Main Plaza Building.
The grants will enable Health Science Center faculty to study diseases and basic biological mechanisms, to support screening programs, to enrich the Medical School curriculum, to assist community service projects and to fund research equipment acquisition.
The SAAF awarded $332,160 for 13 Health Science Center projects and passed the $2 million mark in grants to the university over the years.
Recipients of 1999 grants, with award totals and projects, are:
- John Sheehan, M.D., "Risk Factors for Thrombolism in San Antonio’s Hispanic Community," $23,400;
- William Sponsel, M.D., "Purchase of Heidelberg Retinal Flowmeter/Tomograph with 1999 System Upgrade," $44,500;
- Robert Hobson, "Purchase of Lions Mobile Eye Screening Unit," $24,360;
- Martha Medrano, M.D., M.P.H., "Enhancing Cultural Competence
in the Medical School Curriculum Project," $7,500;
- Margaret Brackley, Ph.D., R.N., "University Health System Staff Training for the SAFE Family Project," $25,000;
- Susan Ruzicka, Ph.D., "Holistic Intervention in the Management of Elder Chronic Pain," $6,200.
- Sumathy Mohan, Ph.D., "Possible Role of NF-KB in Atherogenesis," $16,000;
- Mohan Natarajan, Ph.D., "Melatonin for Supportive Care Management in AIDS," $19,900;
- John Schmitz, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D., "System of Instrumentation for Processing and Examination of Bone and Implants in the Maxillofacial Region," $47,000;
- Steven Bailey, M.D., "Endothelial Seeding of Ischemic Myocardium for Vascular Angiogenesis," $37,600;
- Kyumin Whang, Ph.D., "Engineering Bone Regeneration in Osteoporosis," $23,000;
- Rosemarie Plaetke, Ph.D., "The Genetic Epidemiology of Diabetic Nephropathy," $31,000;
- C. Mauli Agrawal, Ph.D., P.E., "Effects of Age-Related Changes in Collagen on Bone Fracture," $26,700.
Contact: Will Sansom