Employee's Responsibilities and the Guiding Principle
The University's guiding principle is simple: Do what's right. Although it is simple to write and say, sometimes it is difficult to do. When faced with a tough ethical decision, review the following checklist:
- Does the action comply with the University's policies and procedures?
- Is the action legal?
- How would the action look to your family and friends, our patients, and the general public if it were published on the front page of the newspaper?
- Would the action make you feel bad if you did it?
- Are you being fair and honest?
- Is the action consistent with the University's policies and procedures?
- If you know it's wrong, don't do it!
- If you're not sure, ask until you get an answer.
Ethical behavior is the responsibility of every employee and student. Each one of us has a personal obligation to report any activity that appears to violate applicable laws, regulations, rules, policies, and/or procedures.