Protecting the Confidentiality of Social Security Numbers
The University of Texas System has implemented a policy to protect the confidential nature of social security numbers. Below are links to the policy and other informational references. Also, below are links to "Notices" that must be provided to individuals that are required to provide their social security number to the institution.
- Handbook of Operating Procedures, Section 2.2.7, "Use of Social Security Numbers"
- UT System Policy, UTS165, "Information Resources Use and Security Policy"
- Federal Statutes and Regulations that Mandate or Authorize the Use of Social Security Numbers
- Texas Statutes and Regulations that Mandate or Authorize the Use of Social Security Numbers
- Required Notices for Disclosure of Social Security Numbers
- Approved Notices for Disclosure of Social Security Numbers
- Requests for Public Information and Corrections of Personal Information
- Reporting Inappropriate Disclosure or Theft of Social Security Numbers
- Contractual Language for Agreements with Third Parties
- Contractual Language for New Computer Systems and Software Purchases
- Department's Responsibility Over Social Security Number Security and Confidentiality
- Training Materials