Historically Underutilized Business Program
Eric R. Walls
Senior Director of Supply Chain Management
& HUB Coordinator
SPECIAL NOTE: Faculty and staff resources for Purchasing, the HUB Program, Materials Management, Travel Services & ProCard are now accessed internally through the UT Portal under the Services tab. You may need to "refresh" your browser by pressing F5 on your keyboard to see the new changes.
The Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) program is a State of Texas initiative to increase the opportunities available to businesses owned by minorities, women, and service disabled veterans in the areas of state procurement and contracting.
It is the policy of UT Health San Antonio to promote full and equal opportunity for all businesses to provide goods and services needed in support of its core mission to make lives better through excellence in education, research, health care and community engagement.
The HUB Office is responsible for the implementation of the HUB Program and ensures compliance with State HUB laws and regulations. In addition, the HUB Office offers assistance to suppliers wishing to become HUB certified or in seeking contracting opportunties with the University.
Our HUB Program is administered through the Purchasing Department where we ensure that qualified, certified HUB suppliers are considered and utilized in the procurement of goods and services.
The goal of the HUB Program is to increase the number of contracts awarded to HUBs and educate the University and business community about the benefits of using HUB suppliers. We are responsible for:
- ensuring compliance with State of Texas HUB legislation
- ensuring full implementation with UT System policies
- ensuring the University’s good faith effort to include HUB businesses in its procurement efforts
- expanding business opportunities available to minority and woman-owned business owners
- evaluating and determining HUB Subcontracting opportunities
- assisting HUBs in the competitive bid process
- increasing the number of contracts awarded to HUBs
- assisting businesses with obtaining State HUB certification
- educating HUBs about UT Health Science Center purchasing policies and procedures
- improving community awareness of HUB participation through education and outreach programs
- encouraging full participation for HUBs to compete in all phases of procurement activities
HUB Procurement Goals
The State of Texas has established six specific procurement categories of business with designated HUB goals. Each State agency and institution of higher education establishes adjusted HUB goals based on actual spending in rolling five-year averages for each category. The HUB goals outlined below are not mandatory but as an institution, we strive to achieve them.
Adjusted HUB Goals
|Heavy Construction (Not applicable to the operations of UT Health.)||11.20%||00.00%|