Materials Management

Materials Management Resources


Enter first or last name.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Representatives from the Department of Materials Management are frequently asked the following questions. Pick a division to view the questions and answers:

Central Receiving

Can you track packages for departments?
The Central Receiving staff can track packages on the Federal Express Powership system with tracking numbers for shipments made outside the eShipGlobal system.

Do you have 1-800 numbers for the departments to call directly to carriers?
Yes. eShipGlobal 1-800-816-1615; Federal Express 1-800-463-3339; UPS 1-800-742-5877; International 1-800-247-4747.

What time does Federal Express pick up shipments from the Health Science Center?
At 4:30 p.m.

What time do Federal Express and UPS drop off shipments at the Health Science Center?
Federal Express, 10:30 a.m.; UPS, 9:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m.

What are the prices to ship merchandise by Federal Express or Airborne?
Pricing is based on zipcode and weight based on the State of Texas negoitiated rates. Prices can be calcutated online prior to shipment using the eShipGlobal rate function.

If I need to return merchandise, who can help me?
Our Expediting Office can help you with return of merchandise: Contact Nick Puertas, 210-567-6075; James Hagy, 210-567-6026; and Scott Hartung, 210-567-5991.

Can you tell who signed for a certain package in our department?
Yes. The Central Receiving staff can pull either the purchase order or temporary report and inform the department who signed for the package.

Who can I call to see if my merchandise has arrived?
Call Nick Puertas,210-567-6075, James Hagy, 210-567-6026, or Scott Hartung, 210-567-5991. It would be helpful to have the purchase order number and name of vendor ready to inquire on the status of your order.

Can you tell if my purchase order is complete?
Yes. The department needs to provide the Central Receiving Staff with the purchase order number in question.

Can you help me complete a shipping request form?
Yes. The Central Receiving staff will assist you in completing your Shipping Request, Form No. F395-040-093. Call Central Receiving at 210-567-5998 and a member of the staff will contact different couriers for the most economical price and fastest delivery time. Your package will be sent, by courier, if received in Central Receiving, Room 1.362U, by 2 p.m.

Where are the nearest drop-off locations for Federal Express and Airborne Express after normal business hours?
Federal Express:

  • 6186 Wurzbach Road
    Parking Lot Weekdays @ 3:00-8:00 p.m. (Closed weekends)
    ZIP: 78238
  • Medplex 5282 Medical Drive
    First floor, off the elevator
    Pick-up @ 6:00 p.m. weekdays (Closed weekends)
    ZIP: 78229
  • 7492 Reindeer Trail
    Front of building
    Pick-up @ 7:30 p.m. weekdays (Closed weekends)
    ZIP: 78238

Who can I call regarding questions on my Demurrage IDT?
Call Greg Howard, senior administrative clerk, 210-567-6004, or Nicolas Puertas, receiving supervisor, 210-567-6075.

Does Central Receiving ship packages with dangerous or hazardous material?
Yes. The Central Receiving staff is certified in dangerous/hazardous goods shipping. We can help you ship, pack, label, and send the correct documentation for your dangerous goods.

Which couriers accept dry ice and which do not?
Before Central Receiving can ship your package, we must know the contents of the package, destination, and amount of dry ice in each package. If the package is "domestic," you will have no problem in shipping. Most countries are not accepting dry ice at this time. We recommend departments ship by blue ice for cold packages.

Which couriers ship hazardous material?
Federal Express will ship hazardous material.

Back to the top

General Stores

What time do you open?
General Stores opens at 8:00 a.m.

What time do you close?
General Stores closes at 5:00 p.m.

Do you close for lunch?
No. General Stores does not close for lunch. We are open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Is my order ready?
If you can provide the PeopleSoft Requisition number, we can tell if your order is ready. If no PeopleSoft Requisition number is available, we will need the name of the department and a brief list of items purchased to see if your order is ready.

Can I add or change items on the General Stores Requisition sent via the PeopleSoft system?
No. Once the requisition has been approved and sourced to inventory a change to the item can not be made. If an item was ordered incorrectly, it can be returned and a credit will be issued. If you wish to order something other than what is on the original order, another requisition will need to be added into PeopleSoft.

Can I return perishable products ordered on a General Store Requisition?
If a perishable product is returned within 2 hours of delivery to the lab, it will be accepted for credit. Perishable product MUST be in its original package and unopened.

From which company do you purchase dry ice?
The contract vendor is Airgas Southwest.

Can I return merchandise purchased through General Stores?
Yes, within 20 working days of purchase. General Stores requires a copy of the General Stores Pick Plan or Requisition, item(s) purchased and the original package for each item. Once this is completed, a credit will be issued, to the department, via PeopleSoft.

Can you help me locate a product or vendor?
Yes. General Stores has two buyers that will be able to help you locate any product or assist you with telephone numbers for our vendors.

Can you help me order a certain product from your General Stores catalog?
Yes. For example, paper towels are located in the Laboratory General Supplies section, No. 640-075-003 Towels, paper, wet-strength type, white. You may also contact General Stores and the someone will help you find what you need.

Back to the top

Linen Services

What form is required by Linen Services for hospital linen?
Linen Service Requisition Form No. F-395-040-022 must be completed with correct account number, name of department requesting hospital linen, a phone number, and room number where the hospital linen will be kept.

What form is required by Linen Services for uniforms and lab coats?
Authorization for Linen Service Form No. F-395-040-071 must be completed with an authorized signature, correct account number, department name, and name of the individual requesting the service.

Can sizes on new or old lab coats be exchanged?
Yes. If new lab coats have not been used, an exchange can be made. If lab coats have been used, depending on what is available and the condition of the lab coat, another used lab coat can be exchanged.

Can lost or ruined lab coats be replaced?
Yes. All lab coats lost or ruined while being serviced can be replaced. No lab coats are replaced if ruined when picked up, or not recorded on Linen Service's pick-up documentation. Only Linen services inventory can be used as replacements and does not include embroidery.

How do I change an account number for lab coats?
Submit an Authorization for Linen Service Form No. F-395-040-071 with the account number to be billed and an authorized signature for the account. Accounts ending the month of experation should not be used.

Back to the top

Mail Services

Where can I get information about the latest postal rates?
The Postal Service has information at - Select "Price List."

How late can I bring a UPS package for shipping?
The latest we can accept and guarantee same day processing for UPS packages is 2:00 p.m.

What time does UPS pick up from the Health Science Center?
UPS arrives at the Health Science Center between 2:00 and 3:00 p.m. daily.

What time does the U.S. Mail leave the Health Science Center?
U.S. mail departs from the Health Science Center at approximately 4:30 p.m.

What time does Mail Services deliver mail to the departments (campus)?
Mail is delivered twice a day, 10:30 a.m. and 2:15 p.m.

Can I buy stamps from Mail Services?
No. Mail Services can only meter mail on university stationery. The Bursar's Office sells stamps for official use only. Submit a Departmental Postage Request Form with an authorized signature.

Can I rent a campus post office box?
No. All mail boxes are assigned to students and are not intended for personal use.

What time does a mail piece need to be at Mail Services, in order to go out express (overnight)?
The latest a mail piece can be accepted at Mail Services is 3:30 p.m. Mail Services delivers all mail requiring special handling to the post office at 4:00 p.m.

How many pieces of mail does it take to prepare a bulk mail?
You must have a minimum of 200 pieces.

Does Mail Services forward mail to former faculty and staff?
No. It is the responsibility of the department.

How do I request a mail code number?
Submit a New Mail Stop Code Request Form to the Mail Services supervisor. Mail Services uses the mail stop codes for postage charge-back purposes. Note: Having a Mail Stop Code does not guarantee desktop mail delivery service.

How do I charge outgoing mail to a different account number?
Submit a Mail Services Outgoing Mail Account Number Change/Verification Form, which can be found at the Materials Management homepage, then select Mail Services Guide - Exhibit #8..

Back to the top

Vending Services

Can I get a refund if the vending machine does not give me my product?
Yes. Call 210-567-5960 for your refund and give the machine and room number location along with the product you did not receive.

Where do I go to get a refund due to a malfunctioning vending machine?
You may receive the refund at these locations:

  • Materials Management, Medical School, Room 113E
  • Bursar’s Office, Medical School, Room 307L

Back to the top


What are your hours of operation?
The warehouse is open to the campus from 8 am until 12 pm, Monday thru Friday. During those hours you may preview available surplus furniture and equipment, or review stored records. Should additional time be required you may contact warehouse personnel at 567-6021 to schedule an after hours appointment.

When is your next auction?
Auctions are held when Warehousing floor space is no longer available for items that need to be stored. Therefore, we cannot give precise dates and times of the auctions. However, when we are nearing an auction date, we announce the date and time several ways. We also announce the date and time in the campus newspaper. When auctions are scheduled, you can find date and time information, as well as, terms and conditions governing the sale of auction items at our auctioneer's website. You may also want to visit this site since they handle the sale of medical equipment from other sources.

Who benefits from funds generated by the surplus property auction?
Auction proceeds are deposited into the Health Science Center's Miscellaneous Institutional Income account.

How can I get on the auction mailing list?
Call 210-567-5960, Materials Management administrative offices, and leave your name and address with the receptionist. Your name will be added to the auction list and a flyer will be sent to you approximately one week before the auction. You may also join an electronic auction mailing list by visiting our auctioneer's website Click on the Mailing List link in the top right of the webpage.

Does Warehousing charge for storage?
No. Warehousing does not charge a fee for departmental storage.

How long can something be stored?
Equipment can be stored for six months. See the Handbook of Operating Procedures, Section 6.6.3.

All records are stored in accordance with the Health Science Center's Records Retention Policy. See schedule in the Handbook of Operating Procedures, Section 2.2.1.

Do I send move requests to Warehousing?
No. All move requests are forwarded to Facilities Management.

Back to the top